Breathwork is just a fancy term for breath awareness. Becoming aware of your
inhale + exhale & using techniques to support your current state of being is the action of breathwork.
In the morning I like to practice a yogic pranayama technique called kapalbhati, also known as the "skull shining breath" or "breath of fire". This breath is invigorating and clarifying.
1.Sit comfortably in an upright posture and rest your hands on your lower belly. If you’re sitting in a chair, make sure to place both feet on the ground.
2.Take a deep, cleansing breath before you begin, in through your nose and out through your mouth.
3.Inhale deeply through your nose, filling your belly with air about ¾ way full.
4.In a quick motion, forcefully expel all the air from your lungs while drawing your navel in toward your spine. The primary movement is from your diaphragm.
5.Allow your lungs to fill up naturally, with no effort as your belly expands.
6.Perform this cycle 10 times, then allow your breathing to return to normal and observe the sensations in your body.
7.Repeat these cycles of 10 movements, 3 to 4 times.
NOTE: Do not practice Kapalabhati if you are pregnant, you have high blood pressure, acid gastric issues, heart disease, or any abdominal pain. Should you feel dizzy or anxious, stop or slow down :)
After I practice a moment of breath, I take time to sit with what is and gently make my way into my asana (posture) practice!
FAVORITE WAYS TO GET MY BODY MOVING IN 10 MIN OR LESS:
A round of cat and cows
Circle my hips in table top
A few down dogs to plank with a strong ihale, exhale.
Forward fold to recharge
Slow and smooth Sun Salutations
Closing with a moment of stillnes and gratitude.
After I move my body, I make something nourishing to eat!
1. Warm up about 1 cup of your grain + veg + beans (I'll mix em all up in one pan)
2. Cook your sunny side up egg (if you're doing an egg) I like cooking mine on a cast iron. It gets nice and crispy.
3. Sauté your greens! I used shredded Dino kale, little bit of olive oil, salt and some garlic powder. Cook until greens are broken down and soft.
4. Put it all together. Layer the rice + veg mix, then the kale, then your egg.
5. Top off with whatever condiments you choose. I topped it off with beet kraut, hot sauce, guac and a sprinkle of hemp seeds.